My name is Sandy. I am a queer, non-binary yoga teacher currently based on Gadigal Country (Sydney, Australia). My roots are Jivamukti Yoga, in which I have been 800+ hr Advanced Certified since 2012, although these days my practice has evolved to include more diverse approaches to yoga; such as slow vinyasa, yin, restorative and trauma-informed.
During the last decade of me teaching in-person full-time, I have also been recording and uploading audio versions of my classes to my website, to stay connected to the students I met while teaching and travelling internationally.
When the global pandemic hit, and we were thrust into the online world exclusively, I decided to revamp my website and refine my offerings. The result is what you see on these pages – a high quality collection of audio recordings, of varying styles, lengths, and levels; a livestream channel where you can practice with me virtually in real-time, or as a replay; and deep-dive courses for yoga teachers and yoga enthusiasts to broaden their experience.
My wish is to present yoga in an accessible, fun, and interesting way; with the possibility of being both challenging and nurturing.
I hugely believe in balance, and in recognising the ebbs and flows of our moods, body functions and energy levels – all of which contribute to varying needs across the years, months and days. We need different practices at different times. One day we may crave a sweaty 90 minute practice that pushes our perception of what our physical body is capable of; another day we may be grieving, bleeding, or recovering, and in need of a short, mindful movement sequence that will not require much physical endurance. This is why you’ll find so much variety in my offerings here on this website.
Want to know a bit more about who I am as a person? Read on:
- I was born in Denmark and speak fluent Danish.
- As a teenager, I was a theatre kid who loved alternative music and wearing black exclusively (that hasn’t changed). I detested any kind of sport and hardly ever moved my body, resulting in intense inflexibility and lack of strength (this has changed),
- I discovered yoga after high school and did my first teacher training after attending less than 10 yoga classes.
- In 2012 I was the youngest Advanced Certified Jivamukti Yoga Teacher in the world.
- My partner of 9 years, Sas Stephenson, is also an Advanced Jivamukti Yoga Teacher, and we often teach together.
- I co-founded Queer + Trans Yoga Sydney in 2013.
- I used to co-own an eco yoga clothing business called Yogeeks (shout out to anyone who still has an OG shirt!).
- I have been vegan for over a decade and am passionate about animal equality.
- As well as yoga, I love dancing, rock climbing, snow boarding, swimming in the ocean, astrology, cooking, reading, making soaps and candles, watching every episode of RuPauls’ Drag Race, disappearing into the bush, going on adventures with my love and meeting people across the world who share similar interests.
- I am a cancer sun, scorpio moon and virgo rising = I am a big softie, with lots of feelings, who wears a lot of black and presents as being very organised.
Thank you for being here with me. I hope we get to know one another!